Thelema, which means “Will” in Greek, puts forth the concept that everyone has their own unique, divine purpose, and that it is each person’s duty to follow their own path in pursuit of this purpose. As Thelemites, we believe in the divinity and freedom of the Individual. We draw strength and welcome the participation and friendship of individuals of all races, ethnicities, gender identities and expressions, nationalities, sexual orientations, abilities, or ages—Thelema is for all.
Ordo Templi Orientis (O.T.O.) is committed to creating a community based on Thelemic principles, providing rituals, classes, and social events. While we cannot tell you what your True Will is, the initiatory system and teachings of O.T.O. are designed to better help each individual set out on their Path.
Introductory Readings in Thelema
- Liber AL vel Legis (Book 220: The Book of the Law): This book is the foundation of Thelema and the whole work of O.T.O.
- Liber II (Book 2: Message of the Master Therion): This short essay explains the essence of the Law of Thelema in a very simple manner.
- Liber DCCCXXXVII (Book 837: The Law of Liberty): A further explanation of the Book of the Law in reference to certain ethical problems.
- Liber LXXVII (Book 77: OZ): The Declaration of the Rights of Man.
- Liber CL: De Lege Libellum (Book 150: Of the Book of the Law): A further explanation of the Book of the Law, with special reference to the Powers and Privileges conferred by its acceptance.
For an excellent contemporary introduction to Thelema and the thought of its Prophet, Aleister Crowley, we suggest The Weiser Concise Guide to Aleister Crowley by Richard Kaczynski.